Monday 10 August 2015

AND.........Pat Wigdahl, of course!



Next time, I must know who I'm expecting beforehand, so that I can get everyone on one entry.

PAT W. has sent in these two pieces, saying :-  "Here are just 2 I did on the 4th. Drawing of Hayward area which perhaps I can "pattern"up in paint.  Hiding from the wind under Waterloo bridge which I found intriguing and which I would love to do again showing a much more powerful attack."

Pat no. 1

Pat no. 2
















Pat, you remain one of our most clever members, even with all the difficulties you face at home.  You are absolutely right to be excited by no. 2, of Waterloo Bridge.  It is a confident and striking image, which grabs the attention just as it stands.  Very nice use of your paint/brushpen (?) to describe the planes and textures, and simple colouring to bring life to the piece.  I really like the courage of the tonal work.  Well done.

Your drawing of the buildings (no. 1) is more exploratory, containing lots of possibilities yet to be resolved.  I can see that you were felling your way through, and I know that if you approach it as a great big experiment, you will produce something exciting from it - or maybe even a series of ideas???

You have two pieces here which do very different things.  No.1 stands as it is, and for you to do something from it would require quite a bit of inventiveness, to move on from what it already offers.
No.2 does not stand on its own - it is a private thought-process piece, which is just part of the process into something new.

Both pieces absolutely valid and useful, in their different ways.  Really great, Pat.


Having said, last time, that I could look over whatever emerges from these drawings in September, I gather that some of you are planning to meet up at the Wellcome Museum - great!  So, maybe we can carry on with the "2 months out and 1 month studio work" idea that we used previously.  So, send me the on-site work in September, and then some resolved work in October?? What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment