Thursday 14 April 2016

AND THEN THERE WAS JANE!



JANE has also now sent in some work, saying :-  "Elizabeth and I had a lovely day sketching. I took my coloured pencils with me because i could spread out on the table. Anyway here are the results."


Jane - Debenham's Cafe Reflections I

Jane - Debenham's Cafe Reflections II

Jane - Debenham's Cafe Reflections III

Jane - Debenham's Cafe Reflections IV



























They look like a very good source of ideas Jane.  They have shape ideas, colour ideas, & perspective ideas (esp no. IV) .  It's difficult to know what you're going to do with them.  The reflections are so perfect that there's not even any distortion in the panes of glass, so it almost looks like we're looking through at the structure.
I think you've played very safe here, and gone for the plain observation drawings.  Nothing wrong with that, not at all.  However, it's quite nice to just start pushing at little ideas when you're on the spot, and not leave it all 'til you get back to the studio.  Live a bit more dangerously - I would have liked to have seen your THINKING.
Sorry Jane - as I'm not there on the day, I need to be a bit more direct at this stage, otherwise you'll just slip.

Now is the time to start working up some of this stuff, before you go and get any more info. drawings.  Even if you just work through some possibilities - not reaching a finished piece.  I want to see some courage and risk-taking.  Uncomfortable, but necessary.

I can't wait - I think you've got the material to some really exciting work.  Thanks, Jane.

No comments:

Post a Comment